well, today I decided it was finally time to upgrade to edgy. I had a full backup of my entire partition, plus extra backups of the more important stuff… I ran the dist-upgrade and it kinda mostly went okay. :) there were various odd things, like it choking on koffice-libs but not having any problem on the second try, and there was a lot of stuff it held back for no apparent reason, but even so, nothing broke too badly – just kdm and knetworkmanager refusing to work until I’d got all hte packages properly upgraded and kubuntu-desktop reinstalled.
it seems to have done some odd things to fonts, which I haven’t worked out yet… there’s some new second battery monitor that seems shiny but way too dumbed-down… things are generally shinier. and a few things started working better. I wanna see what else has changed… but right now there are things slightly more important than playing with the shiny new software :)