when I got home from class today, I asked aaron to find me a nice easy bug to solve – and after committing the fix for that, my motivaton began to return, just as I’d hoped. I started poking at some other bits of code, then settled into trying to figure out why deleted applets were returning on login. almost missed lunch ’cause I was so lost in the code ;)
when I found a hacky quick-fix for that, aaron told me it wasn’t safe, and pointed me towards another part of the code… I spent several hours poking around in there, trying to figure out why things weren’t being deleted when I could see the delete calls in there… and someone else told me that aaron had fixed the problem himself in kdelibs a few days ago (I hadn’t updated, because kdelibs takes aaages on my poor little comp).
my motivation fell right back to zero again. considering this seems to be the general way things go with plasma and me lately, I’m finding myself wondering why I’m still trying :/ plasma just makes me feel so *stupid*. either the problem turns out to be something on my machine, or it’s not a real problem at all, or I’m completely misunderstanding it in some way… I just can’t seem to get it. what the hell changed between SoC 2006 and now? :(
of course, I have other reasons to be depressed right now, so I’m well aware that I’m not in the most rational of moods. it wasn’t long before other people commented on not being able to remove applets (with up-to-date code), so I started to look into it again, after waiting aaages for kdelibs and kdebase. at first it seemed like the behaviour actually got *worse*, and then it was switching back and forth between perfect behaviour and completely refusing to delete stuff – so I cleaned out my .kde entirely, and that seemed to fix it. I’m 90% sure that it really is fixed. can never be quite certain with these darn things.
anyways, by the time I had confirmed that, the day was essentially over. huh. and to top it all off I had to reboot because intel i810 and runnning two x sessions are a risky combinaton – knetworkmanager wouldn’t work for a while after that, and I never did figure out why.
so on the one hand it was fun to spend most of a day buried in code, but on the other hand it was pretty frustrating that the only productive part of it was right at the beginning. I guess I at least understand a bit more of how KConfig works now.